Thursday, March 22, 2012

Characters, Lecture, Setting, and Potpourri

In the chat this evening I spoke with my peers about several topics concerning the character or Gregor. We discussed not only his role, which seemed to be the breadwinner in the beginning and then the burden towards the end but also his very nature, what exactly was he?? Bug or man?? Something that perplexed the majority of the class until the end of the chat discussions. I myself was set on the fact that Gregor had in fact transformed. But I must admit that I am now again on the fence of whether or not Gregor's transformation was in fact literal. Next was the discussion of the setting, everything had been so dark and gloomy. But, it seemed to add to the suspense of the novel, I recall an interesting DB post I read in which one of my classmates spoke about how the only true mention of light comes at the very end right before Gregor's death.

After discussing Gregor's character and the setting I couldn't help but jump into a conversation about the parallels between Kafka and his main character. I felt that the similarities between Kafka's illness and Gregor's solitary confinement to his bedroom both fascinating and horrifying. And I must say that I agree with several of my peers when I say that listening to your lecture after having read the book made me realize the novels true significance. I mean the amazing parallel's between Kafka's tuberculosis and Gregor's buggy illness seemed so important, I almost wish there would've been a description of Kafka for the first section of the novel. The most powerful part of this parallel to me is the mention of Gregor's final breath, I think this was so significant to me because in my mind I pictured a man taking his last breath, which in all reality that man could've been Kafka. I honestly feel that had I never heard of Kafka's life the message of the book would have been lost on me. I would've simply thought that the book was about a man turned bug and how his once loving family couldn't handle his transformation.

~Liz Michels

5 comments:

  1. I never thought about the light. He was usually in the dark room. I cannot imagine being confined to one room. I agree with you 100% on having the connection of Kafka's life to look at now. I have a new understanding and appreciation for this novel now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completly with how similar Gregor and Kafkas illnesses were. They were both alone and needed their family to be there for them but the family just couldnt. I loved how gloomy and dark the story seemed. Gregor hiding in the darkest corners and such. It just made the story so much more suspensful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that the darkness of the story related to how trapped Gregor must have felt during the time of his employment for the firm, he believed that he had to do it all and provide for his family, and that his transformation was a way of giving up,that he just could not do it all any more. and his family rejects his giving up on the world, as they resent and reject him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree I am on the fence on if Gregor actually transformed or if it was just a state of mind. I also agree with you on how powerful the part was when he took his last breath. I felt like it was Kafka actually taking his last breath and showing how he was going to be when he actually does die!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To comment on your first paragraph--I do think Kafka means for us to see Gregor's transformation as literal. However, it's this literal transformation that has symbolic, non-literal meaning. Through this literal transformation, Kafka raises issues of man's place in modern society. What happens when man cannot fulfill his modern role? This novel asks this question.

    To comment on your second paragraph--some of the parallels, oddly enough, happened after the novel was written...such as Kafka's eventual illness and death...and being forced to live with his parents.

    ReplyDelete