Thursday, March 22, 2012

Symbolism, Character, and Irony


I chatted with my classmates about symbolism, character, and the irony of the story. 

Confinement, Loneliness and Isolation.. Gregor never goes outside and stays in the house. The closes thing to getting out seeing the world is by the breeze that comes through the window.  

Although Gregor’s outward appearance changes, he is still the same person inside. When he finds out that he turned into this big insect, it doesn’t even bother him. Going to work late bothered him more. His mind was still the same as before.  He was a hard worker for the family and they did not appreciate him for everything that he did for them before and after he turned into the insect. 

The irony is that he was alone when he changed in the beginning in the room and in the end he also dies there alone. He was always a loner.

3 comments:

  1. I do not believe that it doesn't bother him. Anyone who asks themselves, "Whats happened to me," is obviously disturbed about what has happened to me. And the fact that in the first page of the novel, when he is trying to get back to normalcy (trying to stand up, but cannot, only wriggle around), I think he is disturbed. Also, when he tries to talk and the people cannot understand him is also very disturbing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true, but when I first read it. I was thinking to myself, why didn't he call for help! Instead he was worried about going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think Gregor's state of mind bothered him, but what seems absurd to me--and perhaps about the human condition--is that he didn't think his new "status" as a bug merited a day off of work. He probably didn't call for help because he was embarassed and/or trying to figure things out about his new self.

    ReplyDelete