Thursday, March 22, 2012

keeping up

     I found that this style of classroom work was hard to keep up with, the post came fast and furious and thoughts that I had were already being discussed. when going into the character room I found that the most interesting topic was Gregor himself and that in a sense his transformation may not have been a real one but a psychological one. His father was uncaring for the fate of his bread winner and his sister who in the beginning of the book really wanted to care for him gave up on him as well. I guess that is part of the irony of the story you are alone in this world, I mean Gregor changed alone in his room and died alone in his room. When I went into the lecture room it was the similarities between Kafka and Gregor the both were expected to make money for the family but in the end they became helpless and a burden.

      I  have several questions on the book itself that I did not find answered in the db boards or in the chat rooms.  My first question is why did Gregor stay he could have left to fend for himself, but that is more than likely a wrong because in the book it was stated that the could barely get out of his own bedroom door. My first impression on the book which I read twice was how uncaring his family was,
I think that they knew it was Gregor but that he had transformed into this hideous bug that seemed to know what pleased them and what did not. He would hide under a couch to spare his sister the sight of him, and he would show them that rotten food is what he liked to eat.  But its like they lost interest in what needed to be done and only cared for themselves. At some point his room became a dumping ground for things that they did not use anymore it was dust covered and filthy. Even at the end they were happy that he had died his father even praising god that it was over and then they could move on with they're lives.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how hard it was to keep up with the chat rooms. Every time I tried to post something, either someone had already said it, or the topic had changed. And often times there were a number of different topics being discussed in the same room.
    You are right about his sister wanting to help at first but then being uninterested almost. His family really made me sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super difficult to keep up! By the time I could finish typing a post, people were already talking about something completely different! Haha! But also, I did ask myself the same question! Would things have been different for Gregor if he wasn't confined to just his bedroom in his house? I guess we will never know...I think that alternative perspective is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ask, "Why didn't Gregor just leave?" I think the answer to this is that he had to figure out his own situation first. At first he's completely in denial and thinks that he can just go to work for his boss, just like any other day. However, as time goes by, he becomes more comfortable with his body on some level....but he also knows that he would likely be rejected by society. If his family rejects him, perhaps others would as well. Interestingly enough, though, some of the more accepting people of Gregor are the charwoman and the borders--strangers, not family, oddly enough...

    ReplyDelete