Thursday, March 22, 2012

What I took from the chats.

During the chats, lots of different topics came up. One that I found interesting was the idea that there was the hint of a romantic relationship between Gregor and Grete, his sister. I didn't necessarily pick up on this while reading the book, but I thought it was an interesting idea. It relates to Victor Frankenstein's relationship with Elizabeth in Frankenstein, because they are siblings and have grown up together. Apparently, Gregor and Grete share a few moments where there is neck kissing and some staring. I would not take this seriously as a sexual/romantic relationship, because I feel that people who lived 100 years ago were perhaps more physical with their platonic loved ones than we are now. I also believe that this type of behavior could be attributed to a few things. One would be that Kafka was very close to his sister in real life, and there was a lot of admiration between the two. The other would be that Kafka had a romantic relationship with a woman named Grete that didn't work out. It's possible that she treated him the way that Grete treats Gregor in the novel. Well at first, and then disturbingly bad later on.

Another thing that was talked about in the chats that's important to me is the way that the apple can be seen as a symbol for Gregor's confinement inside his own bedroom. He's essentially a prisoner in his own home where he used to be the sole provider. The apple is thrown at him by the man that he replaced as the breadwinner in the family, and it serves as a harsh reminder of the physical and emotional pain that he experiences in his new physical form and lifestyle. You would imagine that as the apple rotted and became smaller, the pain in his back would subside. This is not the case, it only becomes more debilitating as it wastes away, as Gregor wastes away in his own cramped space.

For me, the novel is left with unanswered questions. I want to understand why the family treats Gregor the way that they did, and I want to know what comes of the people outside of the family that Gregor affected. I also want to understand better how and why it has nihilistic attributions. I know that nihilism is in a way a denial of anything and everything, skepticism of all things' existence. Perhaps this is a way of explaining Gregor's story? None of it happened, and maybe it's all just a dream, or not even a dream? I guess it is, because someone thought it up and put it into words, but doesn't that make it exist in a way, anyway?

5 comments:

  1. I did pick up on a vibe between Grete and Gregor that could have been weird but I agree with you that it is unlikely that there was anything romantic there. I think people would like that to be the case because that would in some way justify Gregor's transformation.
    I love the point you made about the apple. I did see the irony in the provider being maimed by the taker with the food he provided, BUT I didn't think about what happened to the apple over time.
    I think where nihilism comes in is just through the overall cynical tone and ironic events. Gregor was always giving and kind but it didn't matter in the end. Basically, everything Gregor did DIDN'T matter because none of it ever got him ahead. Thats how I see it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point about the apple--It was pointed out to me that it symbolized wisdom. When Gregor was hit by the apple he really began to question what he became and what his new role in the family would be--if he had one at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with the relationship between Grete and Gregor as well. It's difficult to consider that a social norm back during that time period. But then again, in my opinion, comparing norms from way back when to modern day norms only leave you with a sense of indifference from the book. I do feel that Grete in the book did take on a role of Kakfa's romantic fling (also having the same name) and possibly may symbolize how she may have treated him as an outsider towards the end? But she was portrayed as his sister in the novel. That is just my personal viewpoint though. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the true nature of his family come shining through at the end of the book all the care about is how will we live and how much longer do we have to tolerate that thing in the room. the aplle being stuck in his side is a realization for gregor that his father just wants him gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your analysis of the apple here, but I'm not sure about the Gregor-Grete link that you discuss. I don't recall a hint of incest in the book. If anything, by the novel's end, Grete is doing here best to distance herself from Gregor. It's important not to read too much into the fact that he had a relationship with a woman named Grete; besides, this relationship--as I recall--was not going simultaneously with the novel's production.

    I think you ask some good questions at the end--I don't think the book is supposed to be a dream, but I think Kafka is showing what happens when our nightmares become real....which is, unfortunately, a real possibility in some of our lives.

    ReplyDelete